One of UNDP's “next generation UNDP” initiatives is the introduction of a global network of UNDP SDG Accelerator Labs. The goal of these Labs will be to strengthen the capacity of UNDP country teams to leverage and combine global, cutting-edge thinking in development to build on and invest in local solutions and partners, thereby accelerating SDG implementation in these countries. UNDP Moldova runs MiLab, an internal think-tank and experimentation outfit with a clear mandate to innovate and promote collaborative experimentation within the Government, in the private sector, internally in UNDP Moldova, and in collaboration with external partners.
In its second phase, the new Moldova Innovation Lab is combining the cumulative experience of Moldova Social Innovation Lab (2014 – 2018) and Business Innovation Lab (2015 – 2018), as well the Joint UN Project on Strengthening the National Statistical System (2007-2018) and collaborating with the UNDP’s Green City Lab in supporting accelerated delivery of the SDGs.
- Support transformative changes in the organizational and innovation culture in the public and private sectors and align all participants for the accelerated achievement of the Sustainable Development Agenda and national targets;
- Support the global network of Accelerator Labs mainly in areas of collection and making sense of new types of data for SDGs, conceptualization and running of specific innovative experiments linked to nationalized SDGs, as well as impact evaluation and strategic support to scaling-up of the successful experiments;
- Contribute towards streamlining innovation and evidences into the existing UNDP portfolios through engaging with the ongoing and prospective projects and seeking ways to maximize and to measure their social impact.
- Shift in the mindset at the level of main stakeholders as measured by the degree of engagement of partners in various undertakings achieved and methods used for public policy development and evaluation overtaken;
- Development and testing of quick solutions as a result of rapid horizon scanning and solutions mapping;
- Achieved experimentation capability by the main stakeholders;
- Tested solutions are taken over by partners and successfully scaled up nationally;
- Portfolio of partners diversified, and resource mobilization targets achieved;
- Portfolio of co-designed development experiments implemented and impact on SDGs evaluated;
- Innovative experiments and solutions co-designed and tested with internal UNDP portfolio/programs
- Internal knowledge management and innovation platform created.