The EU4Moldova: Focal Regions Programme will focus on strengthening the economic, territorial and social cohesion in the Republic of Moldova through facilitating inclusive, sustainable and integrated local socio-economic growth and improving the standards of living of the citizens in two focal regions: Ungheni and Cahul. The programme will support the two regions targeting necessary improvements in three areas: at the level of government – to improve the necessary services and the needed infrastructure, at the level of private sector – to stimulate private investment, improve the economy and create employment opportunities for the men and women; at the population level – to strengthen citizens participation in democratic governance processes and strengthen their capacities to demand their rights.
- To strengthen transparency, accountability of local public authorities and citizen participation in local governance processes in the focal regions;
- To improve citizens’ access to quality public services and utilities in the focal regions;
- To create employment opportunities for men and women in the focal regions and improve the attractiveness of the focal regions for investors and entrepreneurs;
- To promote the smart specialization of the economy of the focal regions through the development of the clustering and value chain approach in key economic sectors.
- Increased institutional capacity of LPAs for the implementation of locally-driven environmentally compliant socio-economic development strategy for integrated local growth and development;
- Improved broader stakeholder (e.g. CSO, private sector) engagement in the planning and monitoring of the socio-economic development strategy;
- Increased quality and availability of public services delivery, including in particular those targeting women; and increased performance of local public utilities;
- More favorable conditions for the attraction of investments, job creation and women and men’s entrepreneurship, including social entrepreneurship;
- Development and functioning of clusters in line with the smart specialization approach.
- In each region, local public authorities have set up a territorial platform for economic cooperation. It aims at the economic development of the regions, the creation of a favorable investment climate and the sustainable development of all communities component;
- Local public authorities were guided in establishing an inter-municipal partnership platform to achieve common economic development objectives. A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on IMC was signed by all 70 communities from both regions, as a first step in setting up of Territorial Economic Development Association (TEDA);
- 47 local government representatives and other stakeholders, including 34 women, improved their capacity to efficiently implement local strategies and plans;
- Ungheni and Cahul focal regions were supported to develop the e-transformation and SMART development agenda, formulated into a SMART Concept and RoadMap with objectives and priority actions to be further implemented;
- 4 Local Action Groups were awarded grants of a total value of €200,000 and shall further support 47 rural development and job creation initiatives in Cahul and Ungheni regions;
- 57 existing companies, start-ups and social entrepreneurship initiatives benefited from grants of up to €1.5 million to expand business, create new jobs and increase the attractiveness of focal regions for new investment;
- 10 community initiatives received support of up to € 90,000 to support vulnerable groups and solve the issues facing communities in focal regions of Cahul and Ungheni;
- The municipalities of Ungheni and Cahul and surrounding communities received two garbage trucks and have access to modern waste collection and transportation services;
- 7 projects for the development of the community utility infrastructure and for the provision of local public services will benefit from a financial support in a maximum amount of € 200,000 each to stimulate economic development in the Cahul and Ungheni regions;
- Over 20,000 citizens were involved in voting for the best among the 300 ideas generated by locals. A contest/hackathon identified the most feasible solutions, generating wide citizens participation;
- 4 local public service and infrastructure development projects have been finalised, improving the living conditions for over 78,000 people:
- A new water supply network in Ungheni city was built. The network, with a length of over 1,600 meters, provides safe drinking water to more than 24,000 people;
- “Grigore Vieru” Park from Cahul city was renovated;
- The sewerage network was extended in the central area of Ungheni increasing the number of users by at least 141 (economic units – 11; and individuals – 130);
- Technical design and preliminary costs estimation for creating a SMART public street lighting system in Cahul developed;
- The center of Ungheni municipality was reconstructed: the Independence Square became pedestrian, was equipped with modern urban furniture, a pedestrian fountain with light and music show; National Street was paved, illuminated, and marked with weather-resistant road markings.
- 2 projects to improve local public services and infrastructure development were launched:
- Reparation works regarding the revitalization of Cahul municipality urban center;
- Renovation of the public street lighting system and construction of a SMART grid in Cahul municipality.
- 2 brands for Cahul and Ungheni regions developed to advance economic, social and cultural development and promote their success stories nationally and internationally.