The second phase of the “Enhancing democracy in Moldova through inclusive and transparent elections” (EDMITE II) Project sets the overall goal of achieving an enhanced integrity, transparency and inclusiveness of the electoral process in Moldova by ensuring a more independent and credible electoral administration and better informed and pro-active citizens.
Electoral support and capacity development are part of UNDP’s democratic governance assistance worldwide, through which UNDP helps nations build democratic frameworks to improve representation, accountability, and transparency for the benefit of citizens.
UNDP has a long-standing partnership with the Central Electoral Commission (CEC) and the Center for Continuous Electoral Training (CCET) aiming at advancing the democratic electoral processes in Moldova by consolidating the transparency and efficiency of elections’ management, modernization of electoral IT solutions and enhancing the inclusiveness and participation of voters. This partnership, which spans over 10 years, resulted in the establishment of strong professional institutions, development of a modern State Automated Information System “Elections” (SAISE) and the implementation of effective long-term civic and voter education instruments.
With the continuous UNDP assistance, the CEC demonstrated a high capacity of carrying out transparent, safe and “well-administered” elections (as attested by OSCE/ODIHR Observation Missions) throughout challenging electoral cycles, particularly the 2020 Presidential Elections, organized in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Enhance the inclusiveness of the electoral process by increasing the functional and technical capacities of the State Automated Information System “Elections” (SAISE);
- Enhance the democratic participation of citizens by setting up and implementing the voters’ information and civic education programmes;
- Strengthen the capacity for effective and coherent oversight and monitoring on political party and electoral campaign financing;
- Improve the legal and regulatory framework to respond to the elections observations missions recommendations.
- State Automated Information System “Elections” (SAISE) further advanced;
- Civic education and voter information systems strengthened;
- Capacity for effective and coherent oversight and monitoring on political party financing and election campaign strengthened;
- Legal and regulatory framework improved to respond to the EOM recommendations.
- Automation of electoral processes enhanced by the procurement of 240 scanners for passports and ID cards and their use in-country and abroad during 2020 Presidential Elections;
- SAISE demonstrated resilience in the 2020 Presidential Elections due to upgraded functionality and IT infrastructure, increased cyber-security and effective maintenance of the data interoperability framework;
- Information about the location and availability of the polling stations abroad became more accessible due to the online application (diaspora.cec.md) accessed by 86,700 voters abroad during 2020 Presidential Elections;
- Information about voting processes during a pandemic became more accessible due to the online, audio-visual and printed content of the “Vote responsibly! Vote Safely!” campaign observed by at least 1.2 million people;
- Real-time data visualization on voter turnout and preliminary election results increased transparency and integrity of the electoral process in the 2020 Presidential Elections due to the easy-to-see and gender-sensitive web interface accessed by over 1.18 million people;
- Electoral knowledge of 14,700 children and 100 teachers was improved due to the civic education bus campaign “Arci’s Journey to Elections”, conducted in 100 schools from 80 localities;
- Gender equality in electoral processes during 2020 Presidential Elections was assessed and publicly presented as a statistical study (infographics);
- Dialogue between the CEC, national and international partners on electoral issues was enhanced due to the creation and facilitation of a consultative mechanism – Election Partners’ Platform.