The second phase of the “Enhancing democracy in Moldova through inclusive and transparent elections” (EDMITE) Project sets the overall goal of achieving an enhanced integrity, transparency and inclusiveness of the electoral process in Moldova by ensuring a more independent and credible electoral administration and better informed and pro-active citizens.
Electoral support and capacity development are part of UNDP’s democratic governance assistance worldwide, through which UNDP helps nations build democratic frameworks to improve representation, accountability and transparency for the benefit of citizens.
UNDP has a long-standing partnership with the Central Electoral Commission (CEC) and the Center for Continuous Electoral Training (CCET) aiming at advancing the democratic electoral processes in Moldova by consolidating the transparency and efficiency of elections’ management, modernization of electoral IT solutions and enhancing the inclusiveness and participation of voters. This partnership, which spans over 10 years, resulted in the establishment of strong professional institutions, development of a modern State Automated Information System “Elections” (SAISE), the enhancement of the State Register of Voters’ accuracy and the design and implementation of effective long-term civic and voter education instruments.
Throughout the last electoral cycles, CEC and CCET demonstrated a high level of capacity in adjusting the electoral processes to the mixed electoral system in a very short period and organizing the 2019 Parliamentary Elections and General Local Elections. Despite the challenges and persistent financial limitations faced by the institutions, due to the continuous UNDP’s support, the CEC and the CCET delivered “technically professional and transparent elections at all levels” as attested by OSCE/ODIHR Observation Missions.
- Enhance the inclusiveness of the electoral process by increasing the functional and technical capacities of the State Automated Information System “Elections” (SAISE);
- Enhance the democratic participation of citizens by setting up and implementing the voters’ information and civic education programmes;
- Strengthen the capacity for effective and coherent oversight and monitoring on political party and electoral campaign financing;
- Improve the legal and regulatory framework to respond to the Election Observation Missions (EOMs) recommendations.
- State Automated Information System “Elections” (SAISE) further advanced;
- Civic education and voter information systems strengthened;
- Capacity for effective and coherent oversight and monitoring on political party financing and election campaign strengthened;
- Legal and regulatory framework improved to respond to the EOM recommendations.