The project aims to ensure that Moldova has a system and capacities in place for medium to long term adaptation planning and budgeting contributing to reduced vulnerability of the population and key sectors to the impacts of climate change by supporting Moldova to put in place its National Adaptation Plan process contributing to and building upon existing development planning strategies and processes and to implement priority adaptation actions.
- Support Moldova in putting in place its National Adaptation Plan (NAP) process building upon existing development planning strategies and processes and contributing to the implementation of priority adaptation actions;
- Develop the institutional and policy framework for medium to long-term gender-sensitive adaptation planning and budgeting;
- Strengthen the institutional and technical capacities for iterative development of comprehensive NAP;
- Implementation of adaptation interventions in priority sectors, including demonstration projects at the local level and catalyze their replication and extension.
- Institutional and policy frameworks for medium- to long-term adaptation planning and budgeting strengthened;
- Institutional and technical capacities for iterative development of comprehensive NAP strengthened;
- Adaptation interventions in priority sectors implemented including demonstration projects at a local level to catalyze adaptation replication and upscaling.
- Extensive support was provided to the Ministry of Agriculture, Regional Development and Environment in preparing the draft Government Decision on Establishment of the Cross-sectoral Multi-stakeholder Climate Change Coordination Mechanism, including Monitoring&Verification Framework on Climate Actions and budgets;
- Climate Change Adaptation (CCA) actions were mainstreamed into 4 sectors resulting in the Forestry Adaptation Strategy, Health Adaptation Strategy and CCA recommendations were made available for the transport and energy sectors;
- CCA actions were incorporated into the Action Plan of the approved Moldova Gender Equality Strategy 2020;
- Appropriate actions and guidelines were developed to advocate for CCA mainstreaming into Moldova’s national budgeting process;
- Mainstreaming of CCA into district level socio-economic development strategies was ensured in Singerei, Falesti, Nisporeni, Calarasi, Basarabeasca and Leova;
- Innovative adaptation pilot projects were piloted in 7 districts of Moldova covering the sectors of energy, agriculture and water;
- Data management and the quality of the meteorological and hydrological services of State Hydro-meteorological Service (SHS) were improved through advanced training courses on weather performance analysis, forecasting and nowcasting methods, user of the radar and satellite operational images and use of numerical models, and also through the upgraded website of the SHS;
- Extensive support was provided to the SHS to become a member of EUMetNet network - an online platform for Europe’s national weather services, supporting the national early warning capacity.