While still being the least urbanized European country with over 55% of the population residing in rural areas (as of 2014), the situation is rapidly changing in Republic of Moldova, with projected reduction of the share of rural population down to 50% by 2030 and close to 40% by 2050. The inflow of new residents has been particularly strong to Chisinau, not only from the rural areas, but also from other cities across the country. By 2030 Chisinau is expected to host over 50% of all urban population in Moldova putting even more pressure on city's infrastructure and services, while also creating considerable social and environmental challenges. Thus, the management of the urbanization and rural-urban migration process has been gaining attention as one of the key national development priorities.
The objective of the project is to catalyse investments in low carbon green urban development based on integrated urban planning approach by encouraging innovation, participatory planning and partnerships between a variety of public and private sector entities.
The project will support the design, launching, and establishment of the Green City Lab to become the leading knowledge management and networking platform, clearing house, an inter-mediator of finance and a source of innovations and expertise to catalyse sustainable low carbon green city development in Moldova with a mission to transform Chisinau and other urban centres in Moldova into modern green and smart European cities with improved quality of life for their citizens, while also demonstrating opportunities for sustainable economic growth.
- To catalyse investments in low carbon green urban development based on integrated urban planning approach;
- To encourage innovation, participatory planning and partnerships between a variety of public and private sector entities.
- Fully operational and sustainable Green City Lab (GCL) recognized by the key stakeholders as the leading innovation, knowledge management and networking platform and a source of expertise for catalyzing sustainable low carbon green city development in Moldova;
- Successfully completed pilot/demonstration projects facilitated by the GCL with related monitoring, reporting and verification of its results in: integrated and participatory urban land use and mobility planning; residential building energy efficiency and renewable energy use; low carbon mobility; resource efficient waste management.
- Knowledge management and M&E to facilitate learning, scaling up and replication of project results.
- 25 3D printed creative benches produced and installed on Mircea cel Batran blvd.;
- 5 sensors for measuring air quality non-stop and on real time in process of installation in 5 districts of Chisinau;
- 3 pedestrian crossings in process of installation on Dacia blvd.;
- The new call for Fast Track Challenge Programme innovation grants launched
- 2 solar trees generating green energy to charge for free electronic gadgets installed in Riscani and Ciocana districts;
- Feasibility study "Development of the electric vehicles charging infrastructure" developed;
- 2 editions of the electric cars marathon accomplished;
- 1 electric vehicles charging station installed at METRO 1 premises, other two to be installed by the end of the year;
- 30 electric vehicles charging stations to be installed by the end of 2019 as part of the UNDP-MEI partnership (co-financing 118,413.26 USD);
- www.eu.chisinau.md citizen engagement and reporting platform developed;
- Green City Lab www.greencity.md developed;
- Sustainable Urban Mobility Plan for Chisinau are being developed using international expertise provided in the framework of Czech-UNDP Partnership for SDGs in the amount of 99,055 USD;
- Urban Street Design Guideline developed and is currently under public/technical consultation process;
- Bicycle Infrastructure Strategic Development Plan for Chisinau developed;
- Urban Mobility Lab within the General Transport Department in Chisinau created;
- Cooperation with MiLab in the framework of the project “Dormitory Behavioral Experiment on Responsible consumption within Technical University of Moldova” with the aim of replication on residential sector is ongoing;
- Institutional framework and business model for GCL as a sustainable, independent entity developed.