Nowadays, a voter from the Republic of Moldova can find out everything about elections from his/her phone, tablet or computer.
Only 5 years ago, in Moldova, on the election day, citizens had to stick to TV-sets or radio to watch what was going on in the voting process. People were going to bed with the thought of waking up in the morning and seeing who won the elections.
In the last few years, the Central Electoral Commission and UNDP Moldova managed to develop such a performing informative system so that in no more than 3 hours after the closing of the polling stations, the preliminary results can be announced. And this is only due to the electronic, real-time, collection of all the voting results, as well as, of the statements of the precinct electoral bureaus.
The State Automated Information System “Elections”, known as SAISE, was developed by the CEC in 2014 with the support of UNDP and development partners, becoming a unique example in the region.
Since then, at each election, CEC and UNDP have come up with new useful tools for voters, but also for the smooth running of the electoral process. The 2019 Parliamentary elections have been a new opportunity to bring the information system to the next level.
Today, SAISE includes 9 modules, among which:
- Pre-registration. It allows Moldovan citizens to register to vote at the next elections if they are outside the country at that time. At the Parliamentary Elections of February 24, 2019, almost 24,500 voters pre-registered. The tool has become very popular, if to compare with the number of those who registered for the Presidential elections from 2016 - 3,570 Moldovans from the diaspora.
- The ballot paper. The system generates the form of the voting ballot, which includes electoral candidates (political parties or independent candidates) for the election day. The ballot papers correspond to the type of elections. At the Parliamentary elections from this year there have been created 4 types of ballots:
- Proportional Parliamentary elections
- Uninominal Parliamentary elections
- Consultative referendum 1
- Consultative referendum 2
- Voter turnout. At each polling station the voters’ turnout is electronically recorded during the day, and, after the closing, through this module, the electoral officials are submitting the statements on elections results. Also, the module checks and prevents multiple voting attempts.