The Dnestrovsc Hydro Power Complex (HPC) is functioning for many years and various environmental impacts and other consequences of its operation were registered on the Nistru River downstream. These consequences are hydropeaking, altering water flow and spatial pattern of temperature, fluctuating water level, drastic slowing up of the gravel and sand sediments movement, etc.
Currently, the Agreement on functioning of the Dnestrovsc HPC is being developed and negotiated between the Governments of Moldova and Ukraine. It aims to provide the legal background for functioning of HPC and its further extension, as well as to establish responsibilities of both contracting parties in terms of ensuring safety of the HPC functioning, parties’ rights, use of properties, leasing of land, etc. To fully consider in the Agreement all the concerns regarding protection of the Nistru River against hydro-power generation impacts, it is essential to carry out comprehensive study and assessments covering a wide range of issues linked to the hydropower generated impacts on the Moldovan part of the Nistru River, and to provide essential legal and negotiation support to Moldova in the course of the Agreement elaboration and negotiation.
- To ensure that the Government of the Republic of Moldova is aware of the impacts of the functioning of the Nistru HPC and is fully prepared in negotiations on the Agreement on functioning of the Nistru HPC;
- To provide public with science-based information on the current and potential impacts of the functioning of the Nistru HPC.
- Detailed Study on current and potential environmental and socio-economic impacts on the territory of Moldova resulting from operation of the hydro power generation facilities on the Nistru River elaborated, and the findings widely distributed;
- Capacities of the Moldovan negotiation team (men and women) enhanced;
- Science-based information on the current and potential impacts of the functioning of the Nistru HPC provided.