Support for agriculture and rural development in ATU Gagauzia and Taraclia district
The SARD Programme aims to boost the collaboration between central and local authorities, as well as among the regional organizations from ATU Gagauzia and Taraclia district, so as to foster the social-economic development of the region and of the Republic of Moldova as a whole. The Programme contribute to development of the agro-food sector, promotion of local entrepreneurship, creation of jobs, and increasing the incomes of the population living in ATU Gagauzia and Taraclia district.
- Enhanced Dialogue and Community Empowerment;
- Support for local entrepreneurship initiatives and SMEs’ development;
- Infrastructure Refurbishment and Promotion of Inter-Municipal Cooperation.
The proposed intervention will aim to tackle the key gaps identified in the main strategic document of the region’s development  in line with “Moldova 2020” Strategy for Agriculture and Rural Development, the Strategy for SME Development 2020, as well as the National Development Strategy.
 UTAG Analysis of the economic situation and development potential (Expert Group), Gagauzia Opportunities for Investment (IDIS, LGI/OSI), Strategy for Socio Economic Development (2009-2015), Strategy for SMEs Development and Support (2012-2014)
- Enhanced cooperation in agriculture and rural development between national authorities and local authorities of ATU Gagauzia and Taraclia district.
- Empowered local communities to actively participate in the decision-making process and development of their localities, as well as in integrating the needs of women and men, particularly the most vulnerable.
- Strengthened rural business support infrastructure in targeted regions for SMEs development
- Promoted employability and supported local entrepreneurship in target regions, through Comrat Regional Syslab Center.
- Increased access to quality public services for 41 localities and 7 clusters of localities in ATU Gagauzia and Taraclia district.
- Infrastructure refurbishment projects implemented within 41 localities and 7 clusters of localities (in Gagauzia, Taraclia and neighboring communities).
- 8 Local Action Groups (LAGs) are in the process of creation and comprise 43 localities from ATU Gagauzia and Taraclia district, as well as several villages from the Cahul, Cantemir and Basarabeasca districts that will jointly implement rural development projects in the basis of the European LEADER concept.
- 24 workshops and trainings on EU LEADER concept were organized for the representatives of Local public administrations, business community, civil society, as well as decision makers from central and regional levels.
- 69 people participated in study visits to Poland, Lithuania, Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Hungary and Italy to learn from best practices of these countries in implementing the EU LEADER concept.
- The administrations of ATU Gagauzia and Taraclia district were assisted in development of Social Economic Development strategies for 2017-2022 period.
- 31 Local Development Strategies were developed and 10 were updated.
- The socio-economic development strategy of ATU Gagauzia were developed and the socio-economic development strategy of Taraclia district was updated.
- An Intervention package to upgrade the business support infrastructure was designed based on a thorough Review.
- As a result of open competition, 30 startups and experienced entrepreneurs from ATU Gagauzia and Taraclia district have received the grants and consultancy/coaching support for business development, which will generate at least 180 jobs.
- 120 women and men from ATU Gagauzia benefited of qualified support for initiating and developing a business or employment, at seminars supported by the Syslab Center in Comrat. As a result, the employment rate of those trained reached 81%. Out of the 40 beneficiaries of the Entrepreneurship Program, 11 received financial support for starting the business.
- 13 community infrastructure refurbishment projects have been finalized and 9 infrastructure projects are under implementation. Two inter-community cooperation projects have been carried out and another 5 ones are in the process of implementation. All these projects will improve the living conditions for approximately 36,000 people from ATU Gagauzia and Taraclia district.