Low Emissions Capacity Building Programme in the Republic of Moldova
The objective of the project is to support the country in strengthening the national greenhouse gas inventory system, formulating Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Actions (NAMAs) in the context of Low Emissions Development Strategy (LEDS), and designing a measuring, reporting and verification (MRV) system to support implementation and evaluation of NAMAs and LEDS.
It will significantly contribute to the promotion, operationalization and implementation of the Low Emission Development Strategy of the Republic of Moldova until 2020. The LECB Project in the Republic of Moldova will further respond to capacity gaps identified in the Third National Communication (TNC) of the Republic of Moldova to the UNFCCC (2013), as specified in the Chapter 7 “Constraints and Related Financial, Technical and Capacity Needs” and bring the Republic of Moldova closer to implementation of prioritized NAMAs, specified in the Annexes 2 and 3 of the TNC (2013).
- Robust national systems for preparation of GHG emission inventories established contributing to formulation of relevant policies, plans and actions in response to climate change
- At least two NAMAs designed leading to implementation of national priorities pertaining to decreasing of GHG emission at the sectorial level;
- MRV systems put in place to support implementation and evaluation of NAMAs and LEDS.
Realization of the above-mentioned results shall support the country in creation of a robust national system to account GHG emissions and establish a monitoring / measuring, reporting and verification system for the Biennial Update Reports and National Communications under the UNFCCC, for LEDS and the proposed NAMAs. In the same context, the country will be able to identify the most suitable options to engage the private sector in the formulation and implementation of NAMAs.
What have we accomplished so far?
- The ongoing legal, regulatory and procedural improvements as well as the capacity building effort shall contribute to high-quality GHG inventories conducted in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
- Finalization of the 4 NAMAs in the key sectors such as energy, waste and forestry will enable access to international climate financing and prepares the sectors to move towards low-carbon operation.
- The MRV system is conceptualised and available for further discussion and institutionalization.
Who Finances it?
The total project budget is US$642,000, funded by the European Union and UNDP, Federal Ministry of Environment Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety of Germany and Australian Government.