Supporting Moldova’s National Climate Change Adaptation Planning Process
The Republic of Moldova’s economy, population, and environment are highly vulnerable to climate variability and change. It is expected that the impact of climate change will intensify as changes in temperature and precipitation will affect the country's economic activity and its population.
- Support Moldova in putting in place its National Adaptation Plan (NAP) process building upon existing development planning strategies and processes and contributing to the implementation of priority adaptation actions;
- Develop the institutional and policy framework for medium to long-term gender-sensitive adaptation planning and budgeting;
- Strengthen the institutional and technical capacities for iterative development of comprehensive NAP;
- Implementation of adaptation interventions in priority sectors, including demonstration projects at the local level and catalyze their replication and extension.
- Output 1. Institutional and policy frameworks for medium- to long-term adaptation planning and budgeting strengthened.
- Output 2. Institutional and technical capacities for iterative development of comprehensive NAP strengthened.
- Output 3. Adaptation interventions in priority sectors implemented including demonstration projects at a local level to catalyze adaptation replication and upscaling.
- Institutional Capacity Assessment performed in 7 key sectors of NAP process: agriculture, energy, transportation, health, regional development, water and forestry have been completed.
- Project contributed to the development of enabling framework for adaptation action through support provided to sectors in developing Climate Change Adaptation Strategy and its implementation Action Plan of health and forestry sectors along with mainstreaming of climate change adaptation measures into the development planning of transport and energy sectors. Incorporation of CCA into the district level socio-economic development strategies and budgets of 6 r-ns of Moldova: Singerei, Falesti, Nisporeni, Calarasi, Basarabeasca, Leova.
- Strengthening of institutional capacities at national, sector, district levels to plan and implement adaptation was a continuous project effort oriented toward its sustainability beyond the project life. Through developed cross-sectoral Climate Change Adaptation Coordination Mechanism stakeholders from all sectors and especially the key, most vulnerable sectors will be empowered to participate in adaptation planning and implementation. Development of the concept of Climate Change Adaptation Monitoring and Evaluation framework as integral to the adaptation process and it is viewed as a mechanism for learning but also as a tool of accountability.
- Project promoted stakeholders cooperative action on adaptation.
- Project supported the improvement in climate information services through strengthening of State Hydrometeorological Service of Moldova’s (SHSM) institutional capacities and development of the essential skills and competences of the SHSM in line with EU Meteoalarm and EUMETNET standards and provides high quality hydrological and meteorological services.
- Implementation of adaptation through pilot projects initiatives and development of scaling-up strategies. The implementation of 7 pilot initiatives is Project’s effort to promote in an applicable manner the adaptation measures based on innovative technological ideas and approaches at a small scale community level. Developed scaling-up strategies contribute to moving innovative adaptation initiatives from discrete projects to more strategic and programmatic approaches.
- Within the Project gender mainstreaming is seen not only as an aspect that requires special attention when mitigating climate risks but also as an important factor in to ensure success and sustainability of adaptation activities. Therefore, integration of gender perspectives throughout the Project activities and developed policy documents ensures equal participation of men and women into decision making process of adaptation and implementation of adaptation actions.
- A number of communication, information and knowledge sharing project’s activities highlighted the importance of communication, dialogue and information sharing in adaptation.
|Years||Federal Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water Management of the Republic of Austria|