Analytical Brief 7 - The Importance of Unpaid Work in Moldova
Despite the fact that the unpaid work, which is mainly performed by women, is not reflected in macroeconomic indicators, it has an indispensable importance for the economic development. The problem is that most of men’s working time is dedicated to paid works, which are reflected in official statistics. At the same time, most of the women’s work is not “accounted for” because it implies household chores that are not remunerated in cash, but are important for the daily life of families. In order to find answers to these questions, we will use the results of the Time Use Survey, carried out by the National Bureau of Statistics. In this analytical note we will answer the following questions:
- How important is the unpaid work in Moldova in comparison with other countries?
- What are the differences between men and women in this respect?
- Where the share of unpaid work is higher: in towns or villages?
- Who practice more unpaid work: people with high or low-income?
- With a higher or lower level of education?